Old 23-06-2003, 08:32 PM
Bill Oliver

Default Tree-Cutting Crisis with my neighbor

In article , TheKeith wrote:

I find that being nice to neighbors makes it all the more likely that they
will try to take advantage of you.

Hmmm... That tells us a lot about attitudes. Quite the opposite has
been true in my experience. Our neighbors -- on all sides -- are a
Godsend; they watch our dogs when we go on vacation, they get our
mail, they watch for tresspassers, they taught us how to celebrate
Passover even though we are Methodists, they let us borrow their
car when we have a breakdown, they drive us to the airport, etc. etc.
etc.

And, of course, we buy their goddam Girl Scout cookies, and get their
mail, and drive them to the airport, and send them Hannukah cards on
the wrong dates, and mow their lawns when they are sick, and help
their kids get jobs, etc. etc. etc.

Of course they take advantage of us, and we take advantage of
them. That's what friends do -- they just call them favors.

Lastly, the part about whether the neighbor would need a fence is his

decision.
Fences and walls are part of property joining in all part of this world.

Only
in America and mostly in suburbs is the subject of a fence a social and
cultural issue. Some HOA's and many suburban towns have ordinances

fences.
The fence is often the structure that makes a good partnership with

neighbors.

Heh, that's particularly true if you have pets. When we put in our
fence, our neighbors had already put up two of the four sides. All
we had to do was complete it and add the wire.

billo