Old 23-06-2003, 08:56 PM
Bill Oliver

Default Recommendations for path book

I am considering building a running path through a
garden and forested area I own. I need the path to
have the following properties:

1) Be smooth and "soft" enough for pleasant jogging

2) Be firm, smooth, and wide enough for a golf cart
or wheelchair (some of the people who would use it are
not ambulatory) There will be frequent benches
and occasional gazeebos/shelters for minimally
ambulatory folk who have to rest frequently.

3) Be relatively low maintenance -- I don't have the
energy to be constantly patching or replacing mortar.

4) Look good both in a nature setting and in a
more cultivated setting. The path will go through
some "real" garden areas as well as minimally
managed forest.

The land is rolling hill and some wetland (I have
a permit to build a wooden walkway over a part of
the marsh area). The soil is sandy.

I am looking at about five miles of pathway, with
three miles of "main" paths and two miles of
secondary/cut through paths.

Can anybody point me to a good reference on building
paths?

Thanks!

billo