Old 23-06-2003, 10:32 PM
Dave Lockwood

Default keikis on keikis on keikis

I mounted an oncidium on a weathered old piece of Redwood 2x6, 12 inches
long. It was mostly sapwood and had been part of a 20+ year old deck I took
out. I did it on a lark. Doesn't look bad. Plant is growing nicely. Sure
does need to be watered often thought!

"Diane Mancino" wrote in message
et...
I was wondering about that Gene. I didn't have any seedlings that I wanted
to risk, but since I have to secure the keikis with its short roots,

sounds
like a winner. Don't have something to mount on but a ton of fire wood

in
the yard. ( I can order online of course. Has anyone ever mounted orchids

on
bark?, a wood slab? I can cut a slab that would be mostly bark. mount more
than one to a slab?

"Gene Schurg" wrote in message
hlink.net...
Dianne,

Since you have many keikis you should try mounting a couple. I've

started
mounting plants on cork and really like that look. It makes a great

show.

Good growing,
Gene

"Diane Mancino" wrote in message
et...
Sue, Like I said, I Won!. When a member read what I had just got, he

said
the donor didn't know what was given up, but I know she has many

plants,
and
she probably has more. She gave up a huge cattlea that didn't have a

tag.
This isn't'the first awarded win. We have some good growers here and

its
small club. Anyone in the Vt/Nh area, I'd love to invite them to a

meeting.

Still take the keikis off? I think I'll just take a few. To save space

I'll
use one of those cell packs that garden annuals come in for the keikis

and
put them on the growing shelf

Diane

"Susan Erickson" wrote in message
On Sat, 21 Jun 2003 22:35:20 GMT, "Diane Mancino"
wrote:

They are as wide as a pencil.
I still want to see the blooms on this which was said to" bloom all

the
time"

Tag says 1999 for potting, so you can guess the size of this plant.

How
long
before a keiki gets to blooming size?

Diane

Den kingianum 'Ruth' AM/AOS
A beautifully grown plant completely encircled with over 300
flowers, thirty-five spikes; dominantly deep-purple at ends of
tepals, lightening in tone towards center; lip a deep uniform
purple.
Exhibitor was Louis A. Jaskow, Jr., Rye, N.Y
Judged in Regional Supplementary Judging at NY, NY
3/20/1974

So you have an awarded plant. With quite a potential and
history. A full grown keiki will be about the size of a pencil.
Aren't the center mother plant canes about that size. So they
can bloom and rebloom again and again. This is one line I have
seen bloom very happily on old canes. Right up until they dry up
and start to fall apart.

Good work on the raffle table. I will let you collect my tickets
for me. I don't win like that. Usually the ticket before or
after mine is the one drawn.

SuE