Old 23-06-2003, 11:20 PM
Kenni Judd

Default repotting

The big wholesalers like to use sphagnum for the reasons Gene mentioned --
lightweight, etc. And used properly, it can be a great medium, esp. for
phals. But a lot of those same wholesalers repot shortly before shipping
[to gain that extra pot size and thus up the price], in a rush, and the moss
ends up packed too tight. Packed too tightly, it holds too much water most
of the time, but if it ever does dry out, it's _very_ hard to re-wet.

We use sphagnum [NZ] only in our phals, and we cut it with medium bark to
prevent over-compaction. This allows us to go 2 years before having to
repot. Our catts, dens and oncids are in a mix of lava rock, charcoal and
CHC [proportions vary, more lava rock for the catts and dens, more CHC for
more moisture for the oncids].

Good growing,

--
Kenni Judd
Juno Beach Orchids

http://www.jborchids.com
"Gene Schurg" wrote in message
thlink.net...
Bolero,

Moss works great for some people. I think a lot of commercial growers use
it because it's reasonably priced and doesn't fall out of the pot when a
plant is shipped to the retail market. It's also lighter than the bark

mix
so shipping charges would be a bit less. When you have to pay the bills
with the profit I'm sure a couple of cents makes the difference between
staying in business or not.

I grow all my phals in clay pots with cocohusk mixed with aliflor. In my
culture the sphagnum seemed to break down quickly and held too much water.
I do use it for phals that I grow on mounts and in vanda baskets. I like
the weight of the clay and the CHC mix. As clumsy as I am I tend to knock
plants over when they are in a lighter pot.

If it works for you then don't change. Everyone has different culture. I
wouldn't recommend it for a beginner who is still learning the fine art of
orchid watering.

Good growing,
Gene

"Bolero" wrote in message
u...
That's interesting because the nurseries that I buy my orchids from (and
whom grow champion plants consistently) use nothing but sphagnum moss

for
certain types of plants.

They say nothing grows better in it. I don't know if that's true but I

have
seen the results of moss and I use it myself without root rot.

It may depend on your climate but it works for me.

"Gene Schurg" wrote in message
hlink.net...
Scully,

I don't like moss for my plants. It holds too much water and the

roots
rot
when I use it.

I would recommend going to your local plant supply store and buy a bag

of
premixed orchid mix. It will have chunks of wood bark, some chunks of

peat
moss, perlite, charcoal, and maybe something you can't identify.

When you get it home take enough to over fill a flower pot and soak it

in
some warm water for about an hour to hydrate the mix. Take the plant

from
the pot and carefully remove the old moss mix. A popsicle stick helps

get that stuff that is stuck up between the roots. Don't worry if

some
of
the mix remains on the plant when you're done.

Evaluate the roots and trim any dead rotting roots with a new clean

single
edged razor blade.

Sit the plant back into the same pot it came from and put the mix

around
the
plant slowly. Tap the pot on the table
to cause the mix to settle. Fill the pot to the same level the plant

was
growing before. Make sure the mix is tapped and pushed in the pot so

that
the plant is not wobbly. A wobbly plant will kill new roots when

they
try
to grow.

Unlike other houseplants you don't have to water at this time because

you
want some air pockets with orchids.

Sit the plant where it will grow and let it rest for a week before you
water. In a couple of weeks check again for settling of the mix and

top
off
the mix (use it dry this time) to bring the level back to the base of

the
plant.

With bark mix you should be good for about a year before you have to

do
this
again. Note: your mileage may vary! Some people who grow plants too

wet
or
in very humid locations have to repot in less than a year.

There are many websites devoted to orchid potting if you need

additional
information.

Good Growing,
Gene

"scullytac" wrote in message
news It looks like it was planted with a brown moss like substance that

has
since
gotten green on top. What do I repot it with? It seems to be a 4inch

pot.