Old 23-06-2003, 11:33 PM
LizR

Default Aphid apocalypse!

On Mon, 23 Jun 2003 19:57:49 +0200, "JennyC" wrote:

"Thes" wrote in message
Hi folks,

I have a small herb garden in the front of my house and it's all

growing
beatifully except for my poor nasturtiums (Tropaoleum (sp?)) which

are
literally BLACK with aphids.

I've prayed for lacewings and ladybugs, and actually saw a ladybug

the
other day, but I also now see ants which I guess are protecting the
aphids from the predators!

Any tips? Soapy water? Surrender? There are WAY too many for the
squash-em tactic and it's kind of stomach churning crushing them in
their hundreds...
Thes.

I've stopped growing them for that reason!!

it seems that they hate rich soil and wind.........but whatever I did
I could not get them to grow without infestations of blackfly :~(

Jenny

Herbs I grow indoors on a windowsill except for rosemary (which seems to have no
successful predators, though I often wonder what the cuckoo-spit is doing all over
it) and mint, which is usually very vigourous whatever the circs.

Liz