Old 24-06-2003, 01:32 AM
K30a

Default Color me DISCOURAGED!

Szpond wrote Would this be in addition to biofilter? How, where would I put
it?

Yes.
Biofilter doesn't do diddly for getting rid of algae, in the fact that it only
converts fish waste, full of ammonia toxic to the fish) to fertilizer for the
pond. Algae loves fertilizer!

A veggie filter's, or plant filter's, purpose is to use up that fertilizer (as
much as possible) before it goes back into the pond. Large plants can use up
their fair share of the nutrients and starve out the single cell free floating
algae. Never, ever get rid of algae entirely. That would be a *bad* thing but
we can't do it so don't worry about that! ;-)

There are many, many different ways to put one together. I'm sure other ponders
will post their versions.

Mine own is an upflow mech/bio filter made in a 150 gallon stock tank. I simply
float water hyacinth on the top (keeping them from blocking the outlet) and
they grow like crazy. Three feet tall with huge leaves by the end of the
summer.

Other ponders (you know who you are) have much more elaborate
and wonderful systems. My next pond will also have a really kewl veggie filter
(but that involves last baby through college and a move).

k30a