Old 24-06-2003, 01:56 AM
Alexander Pensky

Default Azalea question (not blooming)

I think it is an Exbury type but I'm not sure. I don't have
the nursery tag any more. The nurseries around here mostly
carry only the "xxx Lights" cultivars if you are looking for
a deciduous variety (our winters are too cold for the others).

- Alex

wrote:
it could be it is not "bud" winter hardy in your area. what kind of azalea is it?
Ingrid

Alexander Pensky wrote:

I have an azalea in front of the house which is in its 4th season
after being purchased in a gallon pot, and it has never bloomed.
Each year it puts out new leaves and grows a bit larger, but no
flower buds. I don't know the exact cultivar but it is one of
the deciduous ones with a very open habit and peach-colored
blossoms (well, they would be, if any ever appeared). It is
on the southwest side of the house, Zone 5-6 (Northern Ohio),
gets about 3-4 hours of sun a day, and gets no special treatment
other than watering and very infrequent fertilization.

There is another azalea next to it, planted at the same
time, which is blooming OK. It is a "Hershey" red, one of the
boxwood-like evergreen ones.

Do azaleas need to establish for a few years before they begin
to bloom? Or is mine unhappy about something (soil pH, light
exposure, etc.)