Old 24-06-2003, 02:44 AM
kenwoodward

Default help....

Then there are those of us using SH (semi-hydro) methods. I have been using
this on a couple cyms for the past year and I'm pleased so far. It is hard
to over-water using this method and you don't have to worry about mixing
proportions either. Check out http://www.firstrays.com for Ray's
explanation.
________________
Ken Woodward
Newton, MA
http://kwoodward.net

"bb" wrote in message
On Sun, 22 Jun 2003 17:03:00 -0600, Susan Erickson
wrote:

The question is how do you water?
If you use a heavy hand and have decent humidity - lighter on the
peat and heavier on the perlite so it drains.

I would probably be considered a heavy handed waterer. I have most of
my stuff potted on plain bark or commercial bagged phal mix, as per
the recommendation of my local orchid house. I'm on the west coast of
Florida so the humidity is fairly high. I'm currently watering my
potted orchids twice a week as that's also what's been recommended by
others locally. Now that they are finally in the new orchid house
(yippie) I'll be able to watch the progress and adjust my plant
tending habits accordingly.

Is any peat ok for they cymbidium mix, or do I need some fancy orchid
quality peat?

Thanks for your help.

bb