Old 24-06-2003, 03:20 AM
Ewald Schroder

Default Getting Olive Stones to Germinate

Has anyone out there ever managed to get the stones from pickled
olives to sprout? Any tips would be welcome. Even if the success rate
is close to zero, surely one will sprout eventually if I were to plant
enough stones? Lets face it, there's nothing better than nurturing
your own plants from seed. I'm trying to get some pickled stones to
germinate at the moment in a sunny, warm outdoor location (no, not
britain, but north carolina USA, which gets 80-100F sunny summer days,
although with some humidity). I'm hoping that the pickling process
(which apparantly involves sodium hydroxide) only softens the seed
case without damaging the seed. Perhaps only the stones from fresh
olives are worth bothering with? Thanks in advance, Ewald Schroder
(ex-pat)