Old 24-06-2003, 03:44 AM
Dave Sheehy

Default Slug threat level elevated to ORANGE

Ray @ First Rays Orchids ) wrote:
: Maybe the recommendation of DE was based upon material available "way back
: when" - and OLD old wives' tale - when sterility and general cleanliness
: wasn't such a public issue.

AFAIK, DE works on insects (e.g. ants) by puncturing the exoskeleton which
has a waxy coating that prevents dehydration. Once the exoskeleton has been
compromised the insect dehydrates. Snails and slugs are molluscs which have
a pretty different physiology as compared to insects so the same mechanism
of injury doesn't apply (although I suppose it's possible there could be a
different mechanism). However, I would have no trouble believing that an old
wives' tale arouse using the logic that if it works on one bug it probably
works on all bugs.

Dave

: --

: Ray Barkalow First Rays Orchids
: http://www.firstrays.com
: Secure Online Ordering & Lots of Free Info!

: "Ted Byers" wrote in message
: ...
:
: "Ray @ First Rays Orchids" wrote in message
: ...
: The problem is that the DE sold for filtration purposes has usually been
: thoroughly cleaned before packaging, and the washing rounds off the
: sharps
: edges and points.
:
: So then the question becomes "Where can you get DE that hasn't been so
: abused?" I have not yet been able to find someone in any local garden
: centre who even knows what it is, let alone a vendor able to provide it.
:
: Cheers,
:
: Ted