Old 24-06-2003, 04:08 AM
Gregory Young

Default Algae and Large Recreational Pond

Hey Bob:
Just be sure to channel your run into the pond, so it enters the pond via a
stream bed, that you can screen debris in, just as you are doing with your
gravel.
Only problem with using gravel is that it will need cleaning, and gravel
gets heavier as you get older.
Another way is a small catchment pond, the size of which depends on your
pond's surface area.
I have one (for 1/2 acre 100 x 200ft pond) that is about 10 x 20 x 3 ft
deep.
I clean it out, once the stream quits flowing in mid spring. The lite silt
comes out easily once semi dry.
By stream I am referring only to water runoff from the woods, not a real
flowing stream. The latter should be diverted from your pond.
Happy ponding,
Greg
--

"Bob Adkins" wrote in message
On Sun, 22 Jun 2003 01:37:44 GMT, "Gregory Young"
wrote:

Good farm ponds are not setup to fill by flows of water over their sides
from adjacent terrain.

Hmmmm...I'm building a 1.4 acre pond as we speak. I plan to fill it with
runoff, but all runoff will seep through a large gravel filter under a

wide
18" high levee. The pond is mostly for fishing, but I hope to get some
swimming in. I've already resigned myself to include some shallow weed

beds.
Looks like I'll have to quit fertilizing my grass too.

Bob