Old 24-06-2003, 07:56 AM
Joanne

Default basil and cilantro

Frogleg wrote in message . ..
On Sun, 22 Jun 2003 08:50:19 -0500, "Rona Yuthasastrakosol"
wrote:

A little shade, not all shade.

Soooo...what is a little shade?

A little shade is like "keep moist but don't over-water" or "plant in
well-drained soil." :-) I lack, and so am crazy for, "full sun." The
minimum for "full sun" is 6hrs/day. Dawn to dusk (i.e., in the middle
of an open field) is better. "Partial shade" is like "partly cloudy"
-- that is, mostly sunny. I've sure seen a lot of different cilantro
advice here and elsewhere. Around here, whether from sun or heat, or
my ineptitude, it does best in cooler weather -- otherwise makes a
happy little plant that quickly bolts (blooms and goes to seed) before
I can gather more than 3 leaves for cooking. My expert opinion would
be to try keeping one planting of cilantro on the east; one on the
north; and see what happens. This site had some reasonable-looking
advice.

http://www.umassvegetable.org/soil_c..._cilantro.html

So much of gardening has to do with experience. For every mention of
"full sun" there'll be anectodal accounts of growing something in the
bottom of a closet. You have to weigh hints & tips with care. Make
your own experiments. Check with neighbors in your own area. There are
very few formulas that are followed by guaranteed success.

I Always Say the first rule of gardening is "Plants die." And the 2nd
is "There's always next year." Perhaps rule 1a is that plants *want*
to grow and most will tolerate a large range of conditions. And
sometimes they just seem to turn their toes up for no reason at all.
Just keep at it. :-)

Yeah, what Frogleg said! It's all an experiment! That's half the fun.
Try different locations and observe. Really, there are no truely easy
answers. My cilantro gets about 4-5 hours of full sun each day.

Suggestion:
Cilantro about to bolt? Puree it with a little olive oil and freeze in
an ice cube tray. Once frozen, put the cubes in a freezer bag to use
later. Just an idea that works for me.

jcm
Canadian zone 5b, don't know my U.S. zone equivilant, not sure if I
care.
No offence!