Old 24-06-2003, 08:08 AM
Fleemo

Default Wild Strawberry in the Perennial Garden

Hmmm, the photo looks pretty close. The flowers are yellow as opposed
to the usual white strawberry flowers. Perhaps it is Indian
strawberry.

It's growing in a shady patch where not much likes to grow (beneath a
large pine tree), so perhaps I'll let it go for a while as a ground
cover and keep an eye on it so it doesn't become too invasive.

Many thanks for everyone's input.

-Fleemo

ostheap (VoySager) wrote in message ...
Fleemo wrote:

A little patch of what I believe to be wild strawberry (or ornamental
strawberry, I'm guessing) sprang up in my perennial garden this
season. The leaves look like strawberry leaves, but the strawberries
are small, pistachio-sized fruits that don't look particularly
appetizing. The foliage is fairly attractive, but I'm wondering if
there's a downside to giving it some space in my garden. Is it
invasive?

That might be Duchesnea indica, Indian Strawberry or Mock Strawberry:

http://www.missouriplants.com/Yellow...dica_page.html

In southeastern PA, it's a common weed of lawns and borders, mildly invasive
via vigorous stolons, but relatively easy to control by hand-weeding or lawn
herbicide.

Some websites consider it useful as a groundcover, and it probably could be
used in that manner here, though I wouldn't choose it over better plants. It
does grow well in no direct sunlight/high shade.

Bill