Old 24-06-2003, 12:56 PM
Seeker

Default Miracle Grow vs. Organic

Using Miracle Grow exclusively will deplete your soil. There is no need to
add fertilizers to a fully organic soil, although soil amendments may be
useful from time to time.

I forgot to mention that when I first tilled the soil, I used Nutrabrew and
peat moss on the suggestion of the local garden place. I have a heavy clay
soil.

I have used no 'fertilizer' except compost for years and have peas

(planted
April 19) that the seed packet assured me would go only 3'-4' that are
already (June 23) over 7' tall. From approx. 100 sq ft of strawberries I
have been picking 2#-4# a day for the past 10 days. I have over 40 pints

of
jam to prove it.

That's great! I'd love to have a large yield with organic gardening. It
has a 'feel good' factor about it.

Once the soil is built up, you will never turn to chemicals again. Until

it
gets built up, you will never believe an organic gardener can out-produce
Miracle Grow.

I guess I have some research to do. I think I'll visit the local garden
shop again and ask what I can do organically.