Old 24-06-2003, 01:20 PM
Jim W

Default avoiding weed killer "friendly fire" incidents

ken cohen wrote:

I am going to be using glyphosate on my new allotment shortly but I'm
very concerned that the stuff might easily get blown onto my
neighbour's plot, which is very well cultivated with various
flourishing plants. The instructions say wait for a windless day, but
you can never be sure about that. Just thinking out loud about this,
might it not be an idea to spray it onto black plastic sheeting first,
and then lay the plastic on the ground, secured with bricks or
whatever?

Erm..

Erm number 1.. Follow the instructions..

The best times to find a 'still' period are often at dawn and closer to
dusk.

Apply close to the ground.. You may be better off cutting the weeds to
the ground and then applying with a can to 'new growth'.. with a can
you will also have the advantage of a spray that is not so fine and
won't 'drift'.... Yes it will take you a while to cover the area, but
it will be precise in terms of application.
//
Jim