Old 24-06-2003, 02:08 PM
Rick McGreal

Default Biennial

Kay Easton wrote in
:

Thats pretty much what my mum said!

Ah - she is a gardener!

Oh yes.....
Not a big gardenner but she has picked up a fair few tricks...
She actually trained as a florist....Then went onto gardenning from there

An interesting comment. Blaze of colour suggest pollination by bees.
First thought was - are most annuals bee-pollinated? - but then realised
the answer is 'no' - for example - there are many annual grasses, and
they're wind pollinated, and things like night-scented stock are moth-
pollinated and attract by scent and colours that show in the half light.
So the bright colours of many annuals go back to year earlier comment of
'why bother?' - if you are going to bother with growing something which
is only going to be around for a year, you want it to be worth the
effort, so you'll concentrate on the showy things like poppies,
eschscholtzia, nasturtium...

But there are many times where you will see annuals used as border plants
that are well visited by bees and other flying insects...
I think that annuals seem to go for any kind of method to pass and spread
their seeds

But one generalisation about annuals - since they are using a seed based
survival strategy, they are going to put a lot of effort into flowers,
so whether it's scent, abundant pollen, or a good show to attract bees
that they're going for, I'd guess that annuals probably give you a good
flower:leaf ratio for your money.

Oh yes....
Don't doubt that.....
But it just seems to me that annuals don't really match up against other
types of flower....
Maybe its personal...*Shrug*