Old 24-06-2003, 02:44 PM
jane

Default New Allotment, part two...

On Tue, 24 Jun 2003 13:43:31 +0100, "Colin Davidson"
wrote:

~
~"Mike" wrote in message
~
~
~ This old boy had a bike and a trailer;-) We would see him going by our
~ house with stuff lashed to the cross bar and the trailer loaded, with
~ him pushing it all ;-)
~
~A bike trailer is an option, of course, but it's a heck of a lot of trips
~and a heck of a long way to bring manure from any farms nearby.
~
~ 'as I get time to plant it' ;-)?
~
~Yes, I know
~
~ My Father in Law had 1, and it was a full time job with him (outside his
~ own 'proper' job if you see what I mean)
~
~ Also, do you have a supply of water nearby?
~
~ Good luck. (By the way, the veg taste much better)
~
~I grow a lot of veg in the garden already, and yes, they do taste much
~better!
~
~The water supply is from a pump about 20 yards away that feeds into a
~tank... I've got an idea for a pump on a hosepipe that might make watering
~much, much easier
~
Most of the plots at my allotment get manure delivered. A typical
price here is 25 quid per delivered trailerload, and believe me,
that's a *lot*. I'm still using up the load from 20 months ago and
won't need to buy any more this calendar year. Come autumn you'll see
loads of huge heaps appearing on your access roads, with people
frantically shovelling it onto their plots before the next tractor
arrives and wants to get past...

I'd say ask about in the allotments, find out who has the
best-recommended manure* (ie well rotted, not claggy etc) and beg the
farm or stables' phone number. Then arrange delivery with the
farmer/owner.

jane

*horse (stable) or cow (farmyard), depending on your preferences.
Either should be left to rot for 6 months, covered if it is to be
used organically if it's not from an organic farm. If you don't, you
could end up spreading anitbiotics or other drugs on your soil...
Searching google groups should give you the previous threads
discussing which type is best!