Old 24-06-2003, 03:20 PM
Bob Adkins

Default Algae and Large Recreational Pond

On Tue, 24 Jun 2003 02:59:16 GMT, "Gregory Young"
wrote:

Hey Bob:
Just be sure to channel your run into the pond, so it enters the pond via a
stream bed, that you can screen debris in, just as you are doing with your
gravel.
Only problem with using gravel is that it will need cleaning, and gravel
gets heavier as you get older.
Another way is a small catchment pond, the size of which depends on your
pond's surface area.
I have one (for 1/2 acre 100 x 200ft pond) that is about 10 x 20 x 3 ft
deep.
I clean it out, once the stream quits flowing in mid spring. The lite silt
comes out easily once semi dry.
By stream I am referring only to water runoff from the woods, not a real
flowing stream. The latter should be diverted from your pond.
Happy ponding,

Hi Greg,

Great idea! I'll have to chew on the sediment pond. If my plans don't work
out, I can always add it in later.

Right after a rain, I drove over to my pond site and looked at the runoff
that will be going into it some day. I have about 7 acres of grass, and my
neighbors have about 5 acres of manicured grass for the catchment area.
There is also unfortunately about 2 acres of woods runoff too. Even with a
little runoff from distant woods, the runoff is still crystal clear by the
time it gets to the pond area. I guess clarity can be misleading, but at
least there will be no ugly tannic acid stain. My land is nearly dead flat,
which I suppose helps things settle out.

My gravel filter will be pre-filtered by a surrounding weed and grass bed as
well, so I am hoping it will not get choked by grass clippings, etc. Water
will seep straight down into the gravel about 18", and flow laterally about
8' before exiting into the pond. I'm thinking that microbes living in the
gravel will consume the small stuff and a small amount of nutrients. There
shouldn't be any big stuff. I hope it will never reach my gravel filter.

Bob