Old 24-06-2003, 04:56 PM
FarmerDill

Default Miracle Grow vs. Organic

I'm debating whether or not to use Miracle Grow on my vegetable garden. I
like the idea of organic gardening, but don't know what to fertilize with.
It also seems that Miracle Grow gardens would have more yield. Opinions?

Also, how often should I water and fertilize? I know it depends on
temperature, climate, etc. Let's assume Northeastern U.S. with an already
wet season. I've held off watering because of it, but what should I do if,
say, there was a week with no rain? Water two or three times that week?
Thanks.

For those of us who began growing vegetables for the table, back when all water
had to drwn from a well or hauled from a creek, learned to grow without any
irrigation. Except in drought years, I still do not irrigate, ( 55 years in Va,
12 in Ga) Of course those of you in semi-arid area will need to and it does
help to spplement rainfall during a prolong gry spell, If the earth is dy to a
depth of six inches then irrigation is beneficial, but enought to wet the soil
to six inches, IMHO shallow watering does more harm than good.

As for Miracle Gro. It is well balanced 1 part to 2 parts P to 1 part K and
also contains all the trace elements making it adequate for hydroponics. The
downside is that it is an instantly available source intended primarily as a
foliar feed which means you have to keep applying it. It is also expensive. O
course most of the commercial "organic" fertilizers are also. I only user when
I need to "jump- start" a transplant. I havn't had the problem, but it is also
useful to "jump-start" plants suffering from lack of fertility as in yellow
spindly plants. Fish products have a high ntrogen to to P-K ratio and while
great but expensive for nitrogen loving plants like corn and Brassicas are not
effective for the majority of my vegetables. As is the case of all the
concentrated froms of nutrient, these do nothing to condition the soil. It is
sort of like trying to live on the cerel "Total" . Plants need fiber too. Which
means adding decompoed or decomposing vegetative matter to the soil. For those
of us with larger plantings that means green manure crops and plowing down all
vegetation that is not sold or eaten, There is no quicker way to "kill" a soil
than to strip it bare, Some of the old folks of my Youth were still burning
their fields off to make plowing easier. Those fields were abandoned to pines
before I was a teenager.