Old 24-06-2003, 05:32 PM
GSHATTERHAND

Default How Does A Lawn Become A Flower Bed?

Subject: How Does A Lawn Become A Flower Bed?
From: Alexander Pensky

Be advised: removing the sod is long and tiring work, much harderthan just

turning the soil over.

I know! I confess I was hoping someone knew a easier way.

If you want to do it the easy way and you prefer raised bedsanyway:

completely cover the new bed (grass and all) withsheets of newspaper,
overlapped, several sheets thick. Wetthe newspaper thoroughly and then dump
several inches of newtopsoil and compost right on top. The grass will die
andwon't be able to push up through the newspapers. If youpile the new dirt
high enough, the newspapers will haverotted away by the time your flowers'
roots try to grow
that far down. If the new soil layer is thinner (only 2-3inches), you'll

have to cut through the newspaper andgrass anywhere you make a planting hole.

And here's that easier way! Never heard of this. The hot weather here and my
old back just may prompt be to use this method. Thank you, Alex.