Old 24-06-2003, 06:08 PM
Stephen M. Henning

Default Azalea question (not blooming)

Alexander Pensky wrote:

I wrote:
Azaleas need sun to set flower buds. If your plant has too much shade,
then that could be the problem.

Sun during what part of the growing cycle? My plant is more or less
an understory planting for a huge oak tree about 30 feet away in the
yard. So, it gets several hours of full sun in early spring, while
it is leafing out and (not) blooming, and the oak hasn't leafed out
yet. But in summer, after the oak leafs out, the azalea is in
bright dappled shade most of the day, only an hour or two of full sun.

I think this may be your major problem. Not enough sun to set flower
buds. The sun requirements of each variety is different. By a process
of elimination, you have just about eliminated every other problem.
Azaleas sets buds in the summer and early fall. It will need sun then.

They are easy to transplant, especially when dormant. You might want to
move it more into the sun to see if that snaps it into blooming.

--
Pardon my spam deterrent; send email to
http://www.users.fast.net/~shenning/rhody.html