Old 05-03-2003, 03:39 PM
Alan Silver

Default Plants with holes in leaves - nutrient deficiency ?

In article , LeighMo
writes
6 x harlequin rasboras
7 x glowlight tetras
4 x tiger barbs
2 x golden gourami
3 x synodontis velifer
1 x apple snail

Some people report that they have trouble with tiger barbs and gouramis
eating plants.

Really ? Never heard that. Considering the size of the gouramis, they
could eat a fair bit of leaf each !!

Never seen them taking any notice of the plants though. I can understand
that loaches and snails work more at night, but my gouramis and tigers
seem to sleep once the lights go out (sneaked up on them a few times
!!).

And are you sure the apple snail is of the non-plant eating variety?

Only as sure as you can ever be. Never seen it doing anything that
looked like eating plants. It tends to be fairly active, even in the
day, but always seems to be more interested in algae or dead leaves
(which pleases me).

How long has the tank been set up, BTW?

Over a year. Can't remember exactly. The tank was changed over a couple
of times before we settled on this combination of fish, plants, etc. I
think it's 12-18 months since finalised it.

If it is the fish or snail, any idea what I can do about it ? The fish
get fed plenty, although I don't tend to put vegetables in the tank
much. Have done once or twice, but they never seemed *that*interested in
them.

Thanx for the reply.

--
Alan Silver
Please remove the "furryferret" if replying by e-mail