Old 24-06-2003, 10:20 PM
Noydb

Default Question about "Foursquare" garden

WCD wrote:

We bought a place in central Maine last year with an existing kitchen
garden that seems to lend itself very nicely to a "Foursquare" layout. I
would like to pursue this, but I'm confused about a few things.

It seems like a foursquare layout will give you raised beds with depths
much larger than the 4 feet I've always heard you wanted for raised
beds. The 4 foot depth is to enable you to reach into the garden from
either side and never have to get up and walk around in there. Those are
among the benefits of raised beds.

What am I missing here?

Re-draw your beds until they -do- meet this design characteristic (Don't be
a slave to 48" ... a little larger or a little smaller will both work just
fine.) You can also have the garden contain smaller repeats of the larger
figure ... that is, cut a large square into two rectangles, two triangles
or four smaller squares.

Aim for structure and symmetry and the design goal will have been met.

Bill