Old 24-06-2003, 10:44 PM
Dave Fouchey

Default How Does A Lawn Become A Flower Bed?

On Tue, 24 Jun 2003 14:19:30 -0400, Alexander Pensky
wrote:

I wish I had that much patience! I buy lots and lots of perennials
on impulse and just stick them in the ground wherever there's a few
inches of room left. After a season or two of growing, it becomes
obvious if they're in the wrong spot, and I dig them up and move
them.

Ditto, I have not that much patience

My "lazy man's gardening" experiment for this year is: for any of
my perennials which look like they might propagate OK from stem
or softwood cuttings, I am taking some cuttings and just jamming
them into the ground in a flower bed. I want to see which ones
are so easy-to-grow that I can succeed this way without rooting
hormone or plastic baggies or misting or any of that nonsense.

Hmmm have to try that.

So far the herbs have been the most promising. Common thyme,
in particular, grows like wildfire if you just rip out a handful,
toss it on the ground somewhere else, and bury it under good
soil with a few shoots sticking out. (As long as there are some
roots on the handful.)

Anyone else admit to doing this?

Yes indeed with Thyme and Oregano in particular.

- Alex

Dave
Dave Fouchey, WA4EMR
http://photos.yahoo.com/davefouchey