Old 24-06-2003, 10:44 PM
Noydb

Default Manure

Jim Carter wrote:

A friend's garden is not doing well. He has not mixed manure or other
organic
material with the soil since he started gardening three years ago. Plants
in
his garden are just not growing. The problem is that he has been relying
on short-cuts such as Miracle Grow.

Is there any product he can add now that would let him salvage this year's
crop without digging up the garden and adding manure?
--
Gardening Zones
Canada Zone 5a

Mulch the garden with either compost or manure (or a blend). As another
poster has mentioned, each time he waters after that he will be giving his
plants a tiny amount of fertilizer. More importantly, though, he will be
feeding the earthworms and other soil inhabitants. He need not dig this in
at all. Next year, just plant directly into whatever is left and, as the
plants come to size, reapply the mulch. This is a lather-rinse-repeat thing
that will, over a surprisingly short time, result in a much healthier soil
and, of course, much better produce for him.

Bill