Old 24-06-2003, 10:56 PM
Steve

Default Help Id a tree and its disease

David,
you clearly know about this tree. I was not sure about the suggestions that
it was a populus candicans or canadensis because my book describes them
both as "columnar". This tree is more your standard "lollipop" shape and
the leaves are smaller than the book suggests. Also, it does not have
catkins. Could all this be the result of a lack of pruning? I only bought
this house 18 months ago so I don't know the tree's history before then.
Now that it has the canker, is it a goner, or can I prune it back hard and
save it? Do you know of any other treatment for canker?
Thanks for your comments so far,

Steve

"David Hill" wrote in message
Sorry but it's nothing special in the UK as has been said on
uk.rec.gardening,
its a very wide spread poplar, the leaf colour is best on young growth, so
it is often cut back quite hard each year, this helps to keep the "Canker"
at bay. I have about 12 of them....I say about because they can sucker

quite
easily.
Also to propagate all you have to do is to cut 12 to 15 inch long shoots

in
the Autumn, put them about 5 to 6 inches into the ground, and by the

Spring
they will be rooting.
Sorry but no fortune from it.

--