Old 24-06-2003, 11:20 PM
Alexander Pensky

Default How Does A Lawn Become A Flower Bed?

GSHATTERHAND wrote:

I really appreciate all the information on using layers of newspaper over the
sod, and compost and soil over that. But I want to be certain of one
thing......once I've laid down the newspaper, and covered it with compost and
soil, is there any reason I can't immediately plant annuals in my new flower
bed? Do I have to wait for any reason? I'm hoping to put my couple dozen
house-grown giant celosia in my new full sun flowerbed.

You can certainly plant there right away, either annuals or perennials.
As I mentioned earlier, unless your new plants are very shallow-rooted
types, you will want to dig each one a planting hole which goes all the
way down through the newspaper and the sod, so that the roots have
somewhere to go. By next year, the newspaper will be gone and you
won't have to bother cutting through it to plant.

- Alex