Old 24-06-2003, 11:20 PM
Steve Calvin

Default Another garden bandit bagged!

Charles P wrote:
"JohnDKestell" wrote in message

Hi guys
When I caught my last racoon last summer,

Your last racoon? What was your total for the year?
I've just caught coon #4 this morning.
He's going for a ride to the other side of
the Tennessee River. He's not coming back
unless he jumps into somebodys car.

Coons are very good swimmers.

Yes, they are. I've heard they make good pets if
you can find a baby coon.

I wish they didn't see it fit to waste my garden

me too!

Yup, I had one when I was in my early teens. Great pet. He'd go
everywhere with me and just sit on my shoulder on his leash until he got
too big. When full grown he was around 45 or 50 pounds. I kept him in a
cage at night and kept it closed with a hasp and dog leash catch until
that little sucker figured out how to get that off. He didn't go
anywhere just out romping around the yard.

I wasn't very nice and used to give him saltine crackers. Coons wash
everything that they eat 'cause they have no siliva glands. Well, he'd
take the cracker to his hugh water container to wash it and naturally it
fell apart. He'd start to chatter and smack at the water. It was pretty
funny. Of course I always had some of his biskets or something as a back
up for him. :-)

He didn't like my Dad for some reason though and bit him entirely
through his arm, thankfully going inbetween the bones. My father said
that he took him out and let him go but my guess is that he only let him
go long enough to get a good aim on him. :-(

--
Steve