Old 25-06-2003, 12:20 AM
John Hines

Default CARPetbaggers

"MLF" wrote:

"K30a" wrote:
MLF posted "If we're going to live with these things, we better start

eating
them," Bart said. "It's an ecological last resort.",

Black'nd Carp. Put a Cajun chef on TV,
fry up a mess of these and import them to
NY for $50 a plate!

My idea exactly (of course, that's how they got into our ecosystem in the
first place). But now that they're in it, I say net 'em, gut 'em, and fry
'em.

Actually, I believe they were originally used in aquaculture in the So,
when the farms flooded.

Illinois is fighting the asian carp, the big mouth carp, the round goby,
and others, as they meet, either coming up the Missippi, or down via the
Chicago rivers. 4 different types of foreign carp.

My only reservation is that they are actually close relatives of the fish we
keep in our ponds - koi and goldfish are just fancy carp.

Yep, when they found a bighead in one of the lagoons, they shocked the
lagoon, to see if their were anymore, and among the fish reported to
have been replaced was "koi carp" as well as "common carp", and a third,
non-problematical carp.

The thought was that someone bought 2 live ones, one to eat, and one to
"give back to nature", and let it go. Fortunately, the lagoon isn't
connected to anything else.