Old 25-06-2003, 12:32 AM
Julie Sloan

Default newbie question--composting weeds

Whoops and there I posted such a long reply and didn't address the
original question. I put everything into the compost pile (no bin
here, just a big pile), but during the spring and summer I turn it
frequently to try and keep weeds from taking over. Mostly our compost
is just a breeding ground for bait-worms, though. g

When weeds do grow in the compost I cover them with shredded newspaper
and a few forkfuls of dirt (pitchfork, that is). The worms like this.
I've been too lazy to take my wheelbarrow next door for horsepoop, so
thus far I have a poop-less compost, but with all the coffeegrounds my
husband produces it's a rich one.

Juliebee in Kentuckee

On 24 Jun 2003 14:41:53 -0700, (tmtresh) typed
these words:

I put all the weeds I pull from my yard in my compost bin. Although
I'm careful about removing any seeds of weeds I REALLY do not want to
have grow in my yard (just in case they do not die in the bin), for
example, burrs and goat heads (puncture weeds), these I throw in the
trash. Your compost heap *should* kill most of the weed seeds, either
by heat, or germination in an environment they cannot grow. The safest
thing, of course, would be to pull the weeds before they go to seed-
then there are no worries about having them in your compost.

Heidi Stump wrote in message ...
Hi all,

Please forgive my ignorance, I am a newbie to gardening! Is it safe to
throw weeds in my compost pile, or will they come back to haunt me once
I use the compost? If it is not a safe bet, what do you all do with
your pulled weeds? Leave them out to dry? Toss them in the garbage?

Thanks!
Heidi

http://www.bobsloansampler.com/

Bearskin to Holly Fork: Stories from Appalachia
by Bob Sloan ISBN: 1-893239-21-7