Old 25-06-2003, 12:56 AM
Salty Thumb

Default Bee Nest in Garage

wrote in
:

you need to call the extension service and see if somebody will come
out and remove the bees. with so few bees left just killing them is

I think you should try this first. At the least they might be able to
get you in touch with an apiarist would might give you more info or take
care of the problem outright.

sad. you may also try one of those long burning mosquito coils ...
they dont like smoke. in fact, you might want to just run your car in
there for an hour and see if they decamp. Ingrid

Hopefully if you try running your car, you'll have the sense to let the
area clear out and bring a charged carbon monoxide detector with you
before re-entering the area.

(Leo Shea) wrote:

I was in my garage last night when I picked up a mop and discovered a
bunch of bees underneath the mop on the garage floor! It was pretty
dark in that corner of the garage even with the lights on, but I did
see that they looked fairly large.

After I picked up the mop they made a buzzing noise but didn't leave
the floor immediately. 10-15 seconds later one took off at which
point I ran back into the house. I never noticed them in the garage
before, and I have been in the garage a few times lately (I don't park
in the garage).

Are you in an area with Africanized Honeybees?

Any idea what kind of bees these may be? And how safe would it be to
open the garage door at night, spray them with wasp/hornet spray from
15-20 ft. away, then run? They're against the left wall of the garage
close to the garage door.

Good luck hitting anything from 15' out. Also look at the label to see
if it works on bees.

- Salty