Old 05-03-2003, 05:39 PM
Dwight Sipler

Default Dumb Question...

Natty_Dread wrote:

...I'm in Northern VA,
zone 7A; examples of the seeds I bought include oriental poppies, Black-eyed
Susans, carnations, coreopsis and a couple of others. How easy (or hard) is
it to grown flowering plants from seeds? Any advice is most appreciated.
Thanks!

In general, one per seed, modified by the germination percentage. For
example, if the seed has 90% germination, you will get (on the average)
9 plants for every 10 seeds you plant. There are exceptions, e.g. beets,
where the seed is actually a cluster of seeds, so that you can get
several plants for one seed.

That's seedlings. You have to keep them alive long enough to reach
maturity and flower. (Water and weed them).

P.S. Speaking of coreopsis, I have several in pots on my patio that I never
got into the ground last fall which have turned dark brown over the winter.
Does this mean they are dead, or just dormant? If I cut them back to soil,
do you think they might spout up again when spring comes?

On your seed packets it should say that the plant is either "annual" or
"perennial". Coreopsis is an annual, which means that it will live one
season. Next year you have to plant another seed, or let the seeds form
on the plant so that it will reseed itself. Some annual plants can be
perennials in warmer climates (but probably not in N VA). Plant your
coreopsis. It is unlikely to do anything, but you will have tried.

Perennials will live many seasons. However, they take a lot longer to
get established. Many will not flower in the first year. "First year
sleep; second year creep; third year leap".