Old 25-06-2003, 03:08 AM
Salty Thumb

Default How Does A Lawn Become A Flower Bed?

(GSHATTERHAND) wrote in
:

Subject: How Does A Lawn Become A Flower Bed?
From: Alexander Pensky

Be advised: removing the sod is long and tiring work, much harderthan
just turning the soil over.

I know! I confess I was hoping someone knew a easier way.

If you want an easy way to kill grass, level the surface and then stick a
sheet of glass over the desired area for a couple of hours on a sunny day.
I'll leave it to someone else to elucidate us on what effect this has on
the soil organisms as I don't know. You can also do this with sheets of
polypropylene although it'll likely take much longer and friendly
earthworms might not know enough to escape. -wild speculation. A side
benefit is soil solarization supposedly gets rid of verticulum and fusarium
viruses.

Follow up with a couple of layers of newspaper and topsoil as others have
mentioned and you should be good to go.

- Salty "I know how to kill plants" Thumb