Old 05-03-2003, 05:51 PM
Phisherman

Default Dumb Question...

On Wed, 05 Mar 2003 16:32:24 GMT, "Natty_Dread"
wrote:

Hey all -- I'm a relatively novice gardener with a stupid question. To date
I've only worked with established, pre-potted plants, but the other day I
bought seed packets for a bunch of perennial flowers I'd to try growing in
my garden and yard borders. Each packet has a number of seeds in it, and my
dumb question is, will each one of those seeds yield one flowering plant, or
does one plant grow from several seeds sown together? I'm in Northern VA,
zone 7A; examples of the seeds I bought include oriental poppies, Black-eyed
Susans, carnations, coreopsis and a couple of others. How easy (or hard) is
it to grown flowering plants from seeds? Any advice is most appreciated.
Thanks!

P.S. Speaking of coreopsis, I have several in pots on my patio that I never
got into the ground last fall which have turned dark brown over the winter.
Does this mean they are dead, or just dormant? If I cut them back to soil,
do you think they might spout up again when spring comes?

Each seed is one plant. But don't expect 100% germination. Growing
plants from seeds is easy and cheap, just carefully follow the
directions on the packet. Your coreopsis is a perennial so unless it
was frozen solid, it may come back to life but it will need some
freash soil to grow well.