Old 25-06-2003, 04:44 AM
Dr. Rev. Chuck, M.D. P.A.

Default How Does A Lawn Become A Flower Bed?

Alexander Pensky wrote:

paghat wrote:

I use the newspaper method myself, but I do flip sod upside-down first, so
that the roots have even less chance of surviving long enough to grow any
grass back when the newpaper has composted, & even more so that the ground
will be "worked" & loosened under the newspaper thus better prepped for
shrub & flower plantings.

I don't get it; why bother with the newspaper if you're going to
the trouble of cutting off the sod anyway? Why not just flip the
sod and cover with manure and/or topsoil?

Turning the soil can bring up dormant weed seeds.

The point of the
newspaper is so you don't have to do any digging or sod stripping
at all.

It creates a comfortable blanket for earthworms and other beneficials.
The soil gets dug, loosened, and fed with no further effort on your part
save waiting until fall.