Old 25-06-2003, 06:28 AM
Lorenzo L. Love

Default Chives

dstvns wrote:
On Mon, 09 Jun 2003 14:03:21 -0400, tippy1 wrote:

I have five pots with chives in them. The problem is that they are so
thin and spindly. Anyone know the reason?

Do they ever grow flowers? Pink or white ones?

I have over 30 8" pots outside full of the stuff. I dont know what to
do with them, I've already given one to every neighbor and still 2
dozen to go. They look extremely full, lush, and the past month had a
huge display of violet flowers (the flowers dont smell too good,
unless you like onion ).

[snip]

Fill a jar with chive flowers, cover with white vinegar and let seep for
a few days. Decant into a fancy bottle, add a couple fresh flowers for
decoration and you have lavender colored chive flavored herb vinegar for
use or gifts.

Lorenzo L. Love
http://home.thegrid.net/~lllove

"We recognize, however dimly, that greater efficiency, ease, and
security may come at a substantial price in freedom, that law and order
can be a doublethink version of oppression, that individual liberties
surrendered for whatever good reason are freedom lost."
Walter Cronkite, in the preface to the 1984 edition of 1984