Old 25-06-2003, 06:44 AM
Rona Yuthasastrakosol

Default another newbie question--canteloupe this time!

"dstvns" wrote in message

Cantalope, like watermelon, enjoys being left alone...it's sometimes
risky to transplant them, especially if the dirt ball collapses and
the roots are disturbed. Give them a 6 ft tall garden fence or
chicken wire to climb up, sandy soil in full sun, mulch and manure tea
and you will have a great season. Also keep the deer away...even
though the vine has spikes, they like to eat all the leaves they can
get their mouths around. Also, the raccoons, skunks and opossums like
to eat the fruit, even before they're ripe. Be cautious when
time-to-pick nears.

Dan (who realized today that there'll be no monarda flowers this
year...deer browsed all the tops off).

I almost wish I had deer to worry about! I was in VT for grad school, and
we often saw deer running across our campus. It was quite a treat!
However, right now I only have birds to worry about. I think they might be
crows, or some other bird that looks like a crow. I don't think I know the
difference (like with gardening, I'm a bird ignoramus).

I will do my best to leave my baby canteloupe plants alone, yet give them
just enough care and guidance so they thrive. Hmm, they really are becoming
my babies, aren't they?

Thanks for the advice--I can't wait till they start climbing up things!

rona