Old 25-06-2003, 12:56 PM
Pat Kiewicz

Default Eggplant Assistance?

Andrea Bostrom said:

This year in my garden I have tomatoes, squash, a variety of
peppers, and eggplant. I am certainly no garden expert, but am wondering what
I can do about my eggplant leaves being devoured? I love eggplant fresh from
the garden but have had bad luck with it. Any ideas on what I can do to keep
whatever pest is getting it away? I am in Zone 6.

Flea beetles will find eggplants and prefer them to just about anything else.

To repel flea beetles:
Mulch the plants with coffeegrounds or tea-leaves. (Mix with shredded leaves
if you have them.) Spray the plants with diluted coffee or tea (mix with seaweed,
even better).

Use beneficial nematodes throughout the garden (larval/pupal stage of flea beetle
lives underground).

My eggplants are looking pretty solid this year. The main problem so far was the
weather (too cool) and some accidental leaf breakage before transplanting.
Flea beetles damage insignificant; weather warming up. The eggplants will be
happy.
--
Pat in Plymouth MI

(attributed to Don Marti)