Old 25-06-2003, 01:20 PM
Aaron Baugher

Default another newbie question--canteloupe this time!

Frogleg writes:

Amen. Unless we grew up with gardening parents and neighbors, we all
started as newbies. And are still learning. The most successful pea
crop I ever had was from tossing spent vines on the compost pile.
Plants sprouted in the fall, paused during the winter, and went
absolutely mad the next spring. No trellis or rows or anything --
they just climbed (clomb?) on anything nearby. And every day for a
month, I harvested a cup of edible-pod peas. I can hardly suggest
that as the ideal method for growing sugar snaps, but it *does*
point to the opportunistic habits of plants.

Every year my mom seems to have something come up volunteer and just
go nuts. This year it was radishes. She picked hundreds of them from
an area where last year's had gone to seed, and they were some of the
best, mildest radishes I've ever had. Another year it was tiny
tomatoes, and another year, lima beans. It seems like the season,
temperature, and moisture will come together just perfectly for a
certain seed, and suddenly nothing can stop it.

We're also seeing that here in the fields this year with wild mustard.
Everywhere I go, I see yellow blooms all over hay fields and the
borders of grain fields.

--
Aaron