Old 25-06-2003, 01:44 PM
animaux

Default dirt daubers?

Far as I know, dish or laundry detergents no longer use phosphates. I could be
wrong.

On Wed, 25 Jun 2003 07:33:19 -0500, "starlia" wrote:

I work for a local city in the area and we have a great pest control
contractor. They once told me to spray the eaves of the house with a
mixture of dish washing soap of 10 parts water to 2 parts dish washing soap
to deter the wasps from building. They don't like the phosphorous left
behind by the dish soap. After getting rid of the wasps you might want to
spray using that solution to deter them from building again.

However I agree with the group that dirt daubers are a beneficial insect for
your garden. Although I love butterflies I don't want the caterpillars to
come and destroy my garden. Therefore I promote the dirt dauber nests.

"animaux" wrote in message
.. .
We bought this at either Home Depot or Lowes:

http://www.victorpest.com/wasp_home.htm

We use it to deter them from building where we enter and exit the house,

but
encourage them elsewhere on the property. They eat caterpillars so are a
beneficial insect.

There is some other spray for flying insects Lowes sells along with the

other
sprays for flying insects, but I cannot recall what it's named. It works

well,
also. It has a similar product, an essential oil.

The site I gave to you sells it, but it is MUCH cheaper if you buy it at

the box
stores.

On 20 Jun 2003 14:52:42 GMT, (jamie) wrote:

It's been driving me crazy that every time I go in my garage, dirt

daubers
are flying in and out. I sprayed a couple of mud nests that I found,
but they must have a few more that I haven't found yet. They scare the
heck out of me, because I can't see that they're not wasps until they
stop moving, and lately a couple have even flown right into me and gotten
caught in the folds of my shirt for a few seconds on their way in or out.

What sort of bait might entice them into a hornet trap?