Old 25-06-2003, 02:08 PM
David J Bockman

Default How Does A Lawn Become A Flower Bed?

Hi Bob,

While I sort of agree, the industry standard up here is to wait 7-10 days in
order to get maximum degradation of the glyphosphate. I worked a very large
planting bed that was established this way about 3 years ago, and as an
experiment I also laid in a lot of organic material (cow manure, rotted oak
leaf) on top of the Roundup'd grass in most of the areas before mulching in.
That is to say, I sprayed the turf, waited 10 days, amended thickly, planted
in, and mulched. Those areas this year are *very* rich looking and the tilth
and organic matter extend down a good 10 inches into the soil...

Dave

"zxcvbob" wrote in message
David J Bockman wrote:

The simplest way is to deliniate the area you wish to convert (I use

garden
hose to play with the shape until it looks good) and then spray it with
Roundup. After 10 days or so, you can plant right in wherever you wish

and
mulch/edge the space.

Dave

I agree completely; but I don't think you have to wait that long before
planting. The dead grass will break down into the soil if you bury it

with
mulch or topsoil. You can dig it all in and add more compost next spring.

Best regards,
Bob