Old 25-06-2003, 02:56 PM
Shiva

Default Deadheading Mutabilis!

On Mon, 23 Jun 2003 12:00:53 -0700, Cass
wrote:

hiatus after the first flush, it has pretty much stayed in bloom.

Cass, do you deadhead this rose? You had mentioned that it pretty much
had just one bloom at a time--and mine did last year in its first
year. But this year it is staying full, and very pretty.

Yes, once I figured out that it sets a lot of hips if you don't.

They're cute, aren't they? But deadheading is a damned near daily
activity when Mutabilis is going strong. I figure this rose makes so
many little blooms, I could leave half of them on and see if the hips
are pretty in the winter! It does, however, blackspot. I think Alice
said it didn't, or was resistant. At this point in time, due to the
rain and my own work-related neglect, "resistant" equals "has a leaf
or two."

I've
been awarded one nice long 6 foot basal this year.

Whoa, now THAT is a basal!

The thing has taken
a long time to grow. I have an OR in a pot as insurance, and it is
doing a lot better, for some odd reason. Blooms constantly, neat smoky
colors.

Hmm, mine hit the ground running and never stopped, but it was pretty
big when I got it. I have never paused to think if it is grafted, but
it must be. I got it potted at a really neat local garden center
called Logan Trading Company--it is in an old train station off the
beaten path. Everything is overpriced there. I usually allow myself
one or two potted from there a year but missed the season this year.
Now there is just a pile of overpriced diseased roses left, I imagine.

Smoky colors? Interesting. Mine are very sherbety and clear.