Old 25-06-2003, 04:31 PM
Torsten Brinch

Default U.S. attack on Mexican Beef and Rice Protection at WTO

On Mon, 23 Jun 2003 03:36:45 -0500, "Gordon Couger"
wrote:

I showed a profit on cotton every year before any government payments.
.. Every one publishes $0.56 for the cost of production for west
Texas cotton and my figures are 20% below that.

"Total [government] support to the [US] cotton sector in 2001/02 was
approximately $4.2 billion, equal to about $660 per planted hectare or
95 cents per kilogram of lint produced. "
(International Cotton Advisory Committee)

Using your $0.56 figure for the cost of production and the subsidy
$0.95 cents/kg, it would appear to be a profitable business to grow
cotton in USA and dump it on the world market for almost nothing.