Old 25-06-2003, 05:32 PM
FarmerDill

Default Tips on growing watermelon??

This year I decided to plant my first garden and put watermelon in it.
Everything is growing great except my watermelon. Is there any
special tips or tricks to doing this. I have watered and weeded it
regularly, but it just won't take grow any larger.

Usually I just stick them in the ground and run. This years cool wet spring has
slowed them down considerably. They are just beginning to set melons, I don't
know where you are but watermelons need soil temps to come up before they start
growing. Unless you are in a semi-arid area, watering should be considered only
during a drought, Watermelons also do not do extremely well in clay soils so
that may also be a problem but cool wet soil would be by first bet.