Old 25-06-2003, 07:20 PM
Pam

Default Basil flowering

In our last fun filled episode, Wed, 25 Jun 2003 11:51:06 -0600,
John DeBoo proclaimed:

Is there any good reason why I should not let my basil go to flowers
as it is now doing? Does it lose its flavor or anything or is it ok
to let it go and continue harvesting the leaves as needed?

Mmmm...baaaaasil...

Pinching the flowers back makes even more leaves available
for you to harvest as needed. The plant starts to put its energy
into seed production instead of tasty leaf production when it
goes to flower. It won't kill the plant or affect the flavor, I
use Thai Basil as ornamentals in one of my flower beds, and
I let it go to flower, then pinch it back as the blooms fade.

Pam, who had her first basil and tomato sandwich of the season
yesterday evening.

"ElissaAnn"