Old 25-06-2003, 08:20 PM
Repeating Decimal

Default Miracle Grow vs. Organic

in article , Frogleg at
wrote on 6/25/03 7:08 AM:

I fail to understand how the use of Miracle-Gro can "deplete" soil.
It's simply a soluable fertilizer. I've heard wicked tales of "salts"
being left behind after years of use, but if true, it's still not a
case of soil "depletion."

Miracle-Gro does have some micronutrients but is heavy on the macros such as
KNP.

At one time I was considering Miracle-Gro as the basis for my hydroponic
growing. It was relatively cheap compared to hydroponic formulations.
Hydroponic suppliers really charge an arm and a leg for their material.
Their markup can be on the order of 1000%.

In any event, get hold of a book on hydroponic growing to get an idea of
what is needed. Then you can go to commercial agricultural suppliers to get
the macro ingredients. You can get epsom salt and other ingredients there as
well. For the rest, you can go to a chemical supply house to get copper
manganese, etc. They may also charge a lot, but you need very little of some
of them. You may overdose on boron if you don't watch out.

If you work the soil, you should add organic material from time to time.
That is for soil texture, not nutrition.

Hydroponic growing is about as inorganic as you can go. You can get along
without adding a single carbon atom. The plants can get all they need from
the carbon dioxide in the air. In many ways, the produce is superior to that
provided by "organic" growers.

Bill