Old 25-06-2003, 08:27 PM
Joe Shmoe

Default Children's question, how many trees cut down annually?

~ rob ~ wrote:

The kids were wondering how many trees are cut down each year on earth.

Out of the mouths of babes.... You gotta love kids.

I don't think you'll get an answer to this question that has any factual
backing. No one -in my part of the world- performs a stem count after
harvesting. You could use the cruise report to get an estimate of the
number of trees - but a cruise wouldn't tally the small (real small) trees
so they'd be missed in the count.

In most part of the world, the trees are just cut and burned to make way
for farmland so they're never counted. I read once that an estimated 100
trees were cut done every minute in the world's rain forests. Again, just a
guess.

I don't know. Now that's a fact!

Joe