Old 25-06-2003, 08:27 PM
Geoff Kegerreis

Default Children's question, how many trees cut down annually?

Larry Harrell wrote:

" ~ rob ~" wrote in message . ca...
The kids were wondering how many trees are cut down each year on earth.

Another important question is: How many trees were considered to be
cut and weren't?

The public never considers THAT question. Forest Service Chief
Bosworth is wanting to focus on what will still be left out there
instead of what is being cut for forest health. The larger trees that
will need to be cut to offset the costs of "treating" the small tree
understory. Those larger trees should also be the worst of their size
class, leaving the superior trees to be bigger and healthier in the
future.

VERY WELL SAID!!!! GK

In some parts of the world, the wood to cook their meals is more
precious than the food they eat. Many third world countries have very
little forestlands anymore, having been cut for fuel years ago. Other
countries cut their own timber to sell to the US, fueling our
voracious need for wood products and our selfish penchant for
NIMBYism. Can Russian timber and their introduced insects be waiting
to invade America next?

Educate your children about their National Forests and get involved
with what is being taught in school by teachers with slanted views.
The Forest Service needs to "teach" the teachers. My old Ranger
District used to have a day for teachers to go out into the woods on a
field trip and can ask any questions they want of real USFS Foresters.

Larry, what is a "fake" USFS forester? A paper pusher?

Just curious. :-)

Geoff Kegerreis

Oops....sorry....I sorta got off on a tangent G

Larry