Old 25-06-2003, 08:28 PM
Victoria Clare

Default Help with flower ID please???

"Alan" wrote in
:

Hi,

I'm currently cataloguing the plants in my garden. (89 so far) I've
come a cross one I don't know the name of. I hoping someone can tell
me both the botanical name and the common name. I've seen it a lot of
local gardens (north of Scotland) where it seems to grow without much
care at all. In fact some of you may prefer to call it a weed than a
garden flower. If it is a weed it's a nice one and I'll be giving it
permission to stay regardless

I think it is purple toadflax, Linaria purpurea. Very pretty and elegant,
with snap-dragon flowers. I say 'I think' because I thought they had the
flower lips brushed with yellow, but that may be a local variation.

Victoria
--
gardening on a north-facing hill
in South-East Cornwall