Old 25-06-2003, 08:28 PM
Mike

Default New Allotment, part two...

In article , Colin Davidson
writes

"Mike" wrote in message

Many of the places around me sell Horse Manure in Black Plastic bags,
50p a bag. Now you cold put that inside another bag and transport it in
the boot of your car ............ as fast as you can :-) to your
allotment. The other alternative, not as fast is the compost heap.

I have no car :-) I transport most things on my back, by bicycle. And
although I am quite happy carrying heavy weights, I'm unconvinced that I can
carry enough compost on my back to make a difference. I suppose I'm going to
have to bribe one of my motorist friends

Will you have time to run 2 ? ;-} Years ago, just after I was married, I
had an allotment and an old fellow nearby had 5. He 'lived' there!! But
it was his whole life and hobby and was retired.

This old boy had a bike and a trailer;-) We would see him going by our
house with stuff lashed to the cross bar and the trailer loaded, with
him pushing it all ;-)

In theory, yes. The other alternative is to take the second plot and cover
it in a green manure crop, and rotivate it in progressively as I get time to
plant it. It's awfully tempting.

'as I get time to plant it' ;-)?

My Father in Law had 1, and it was a full time job with him (outside his
own 'proper' job if you see what I mean)

Also, do you have a supply of water nearby?

Good luck. (By the way, the veg taste much better)

Forthcoming reunions.
British Pacific Fleet Hayling Island Sept 5th - 8th
Castle Class Corvettes Assn. Isle of Wight. Oct 3rd - 6th.
R.N. Trafalgar Weekend Leamington Spa. Oct 10th - 13th. Plus many more